Bare Metal Appliance Store¶
Bare Metal Appliance Store is a unique feature in the recovery firmware that simplifies the process of downloading and installing an operating system image.
- Download the latest available image for a distribution directly from the internet.
- Avoids having to use image writer software from another machine and having to use SD cards/USB flash etc.
- Self-hosting, no need for an external PXE server
- Good for remote sites where the Ten64 is the sole internet connection (e.g using a cellular modem installed inside the Ten64)
- Some possibilies to script and customize the process for your needs
- Ability to setup your own image registry
- No access to distribution installer settings (e.g partitioning, locales, disk encryption)
- Installed environment is generally similar to cloud server images
- It is planned to implement some pre- and post- boot (e.g cloud-init) manipulation features in future recovery versions
Note that the default registry has the ability to mark images as compatible/incompatible with hardware so not all appliances wil be presented for install. (You can use
appstore-list --show-all to show all appliances in the registry)
Demo - from power on to Debian login prompt¶
Once you have booted into the recovery firmware, make sure you have internet access (e.g use
recovery# set-wan eth8
You can then use appstore_list to download the listings (if not already downloaded) and list available images:
Lists not downloaded, will attempt to download % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 8951 100 8951 0 0 15353 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 95223 % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 2316 100 2316 0 0 24903 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 24903 Repository traverse traverse-openwrt-ls1088 :Traverse OpenWrt build for LS1088 (disk devices) muvirt-ls1088 :muvirt for LS1088 (disk install) traverse-debian-buster :Traverse Debian Buster image traverse-opensuse-151 :Traverse openSuSE 15.1 image Repository officialdistro opensuse-tumbleweed-jeos-devel :openSuSE JeOS Tumbleweed - JeOS-devel variant opensuse-tumbleweed-jeos :openSuSE JeOS Tumbleweed - JeOS variant opensuse-leap-15.2-jeos :openSuSE JeOS Leap-15.2 - JeOS variant [8 entries hidden due to incompatibility with this platform]
Then using baremetal-deploy you can write the image to a disk:
baremetal-deploy traverse-debian-buster /dev/nvme0n1
Checking compatibility... Appliance to deploy: traverse-debian-buster - Traverse Debian Buster image Device to deploy to: /dev/nvme0n1 Downloading image ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! About to write image to device /dev/nvme0n1 if you don't want this, Ctrl-C now! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! [ 158.521024] nbd0: p1 p2 p3 [ 169.985106] block nbd0: NBD_DISCONNECT [ 169.988881] block nbd0: Disconnected due to user request. [ 169.994284] block nbd0: shutting down sockets
You can then reboot and enjoy your new operating system.